Sunday, August 2, 2009

"Excuse me, can I get a pair of briefs with my drink?"

By now I have figured out that the moment you think you don't need a camera is when you will regret not having it. Last week a group of us went for a walk after dinner to get some passport pictures for a Togo visa. On the way back we decided to stop at O'Grille...a local favorite...for a drink before heading back to the ship.

We sat down and proceeded to order while looking at the table next to us and noticed a group of 3 African men getting a drink and a man selling them boxer briefs. The briefs were layed out all over the table as the men rummaged through them. We all found this quite amusing when Richard, one of the guys with us, mentions that he actually needs some. Well, of course we couldn't let this slide and helped wave down the brief salesman to come to our table. We insisted that he buy some from this guy...seriously, how convenient! We helped him pick out 3 pair of the non sketchy looking ones.

This is where the bardering comes in. None of us can speak much french and we were trying to get him down on the price. The concensus was to try and get the 3 pair for 1,000 cfa each. It was quite amusing watching us all try to do this each our own way when finally I yell out, "trois (3) for trois". He understood this, but everyone was dying laughing at me and my amazing french/english combo. I don't think I'll hear the end of that for awhile. All in all it was quite the successful outing...passport photos, drinks, and briefs for Richard. Ya just never know what goodies you'll end up finding on a trip out:)

1 comment:

Mom said...

I want to see a picture of the 3 briefs you collectively selected for Richard!