Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Prince Eddie

It is 4am and I am on my last night of 3 night shifts. One of the translators just made fresh squeezed orange juice and brought it into A ward for the 3 of us working tonight. Oh, the little things that make life so grand sometimes:)

I know I have been slacking the last couple months on my blogs so I am trying to slowly write a few that should have been written long ago.

Prince Eddie is a patient who was here for burn contractures on one of his hands. He was screened when the Anastasis(old ship) was in Ghana but was put on the waiting list and not called. When he found out the ship would be in Benin he came again for screening. This time he was able to get surgery. Even though he did not get treated in Ghana he did not lose heart or joy.

Prince Eddie had a smile that could light up a room. I have to say it was also refreshing having an english speaking patient.:) This patient was such a joy to take care of. He was here at a God ordained time I believe. He was always encouraging the nurses and telling them what a great job they were doing. He was always reading his bible and even prayed with other patients who were having a tough time.

I was working one day when he handed me a poem and I wanted to share it with you. Prince Eddie is a very gifted poet and ended up writing several poems while he was here, but one in particular really stood out. After I got this poem I immediately brought it to Ali and Suzanne to share with them and it almost brought them to tears. At that time on the ward we were dealing with some really hard cases and patients who did not have a good prognosis. One of the patients he prayed for actually had a rare kind of lymphoma and the boy actually ended up passing away. This poem was a reminder of why we are here and a welcomed encouragement in a great time of need. Without further delay...here is what he wrote:

Angels Amongst the Sons of Men

The day the Big White Whale landed on the black shores of Africa was a blessed day to the Sons of Men.
It came with Angels to walk amongst the Sons of Men.
Why do I call them Angels? Let me tell you of my time with them.

I came onboard the White Whale with rooms filled with
the lame
the maimed
the formed
the deformed
the wrong
and the rough.

And deep into the darkest part of the night, I saw men and brethren,
maidens and ladies, though flesh as us, yet with hearts as Angels.

Sleeplessly and tirelessly they toiled through the night,
through the pains and aches of men;
They, with hands to heal and mend,
bringing from above the Father's love to the Sons of Men.

Some they cut.
Some they tie.
Some they seal, and yet others
they fix with tools untold.

Like messengers of the Most High they came.
Not thinking of their own, they risked their lives
and sailed the seas to lands beyond the endless world,
to shores of Men afflicted and in pain.

Their hearts and lives they came to share,
as Angels walking amongst the Sons of Men.

Some in this life are born to pass,
and some are born in life to live,
Yet these Angels are born to preserve humanity.

Though some may see lives as waste,
yet with speed they move to save.
With words of love and touch of peace,
they endlessly toil to make right the wrong.

You were born as Men to your lands,
and yet as Angels you served the earth.
Gold is digged from earth beneath.
Treasures are hunted on high seas.
But love so pure and true
can only in hearts like yours be found.

Your labor in the Lord shall not be in vain.
For every life you touch and every soul you save,
For every bone you mend and every face you straight,
The Lord of Life and Light will light your path and guide your life.

For you are truly Angels amongst the Sons of Men.




Prince Eddie wrote that as a thank you to the nurses here. He explained that he wanted to write what the other patients also thought but could not express well without speaking english. He was very touched by his surgery and stay here and in turn left behind powerful impression and some inspiring poems.

2 comments:

her said...

ohhh that was seriously beautiful and almost made me cry!

Unknown said...

I agree! It was so beautiful, and I did cry.