Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Come Dance With Me

It was about 11am one day last week and I was charge nurse on the max fax ward. It was not super busy so we decided to have a spontaneous dance party on the ward...one of my favorite things. The translators play guitar and drums, the Africans sing and dance, and the yovos (us white folk) do our best to dance and sing as well. It is always a joyful occasion.

One of the operating room nurses peeks in to give me a report on one of the patients. I invite her in for a dance...kind of pulling her in. As were doing what looks to us like a modifeid version of the chicken dance with our arms flapping she proceeded to tell me how the operation was going for this particular patient. This seemed perfectly normal and I did not think much about it at the time. Afterwards, as I thought about what just happened we both had a good laugh. In how many hospitals do you get a post-op report while dancing rediculously with the OR nurse and the other patients in the middle of the room. I told her that we were going to tell Dr. Gary, the surgeon, that he had to make "dancing" rounds in the morning!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love it! I also love that though there are times of deep sorrow as you encounter the difficult trials of life and especially the life of so many in Africa, that you and the crew can continue to experience TRUE joy! It brings a smile to my face and a tear to my eye! Thank you for sharing your experiences of Africa and allowing all of us to go on this journey with you! Love you!