Sunday, March 6, 2011

Back On Board My Floating Home

So I am wiping the dust off this blog and starting it up again. Not much to say yet, but I finally arrived safe and sound last night after a flight cancellation in Brussels...but free hotel and 600 euros cash, so cannot complain. I was quickly brought back to my new reality when I sat next to a gentleman from Liberia on my flight from Chicago. He left during the civil war and has not seen his wife and some of his kids in 15 years since! I cried tears of joy and sorrow listening to his story. I have been around people like that quite a bit in my life now but will never grasp or imagine the reality of that. I think that is a good thing.

The hour water taxi ride to the ship was amazing. Felt good to have an ocean breeze against my face again. I do have to admit that I had my escape route planned if the boat capsized though. It was a bit rocky at times and the engine never seemed to stay going for any amount of time:)

Today I was able to relax a bit and have breakfast with old friends. I sure does feel like home. I need to head to bed soon here as tomorrow is screening day. THE big day. Lines of thousands of people will line up with high hopes of life change. Surgery often means being accepted and having a life again and being told no is devestating. I will be leaving at 0530 to head to the big soccer stadium in Freetown. This year I get to do data input (put their names and info into a computer). I am excited as this means everyone I see will be happy and getting surgery. Last year I did pre-screening which means I had to turn many people away. That really wears on you emotionally, spiritually, physically!

So if you are reading this in time please pray for Monday and Tuesday (March 7,8)....for wisdom, discernment, empathy, strength, etc. for all involved. Pray God will give wisdom as to who we accept and who we don't. It is an exciting day but also very, very hard. More to come later....

2 comments:

LB said...

Freetown? Are you in Sierra Leone? or a different Freetown? Ps. I'm glad you've started blogging again, I like reading it. ESPECIALLY since I finally got to experience Africa last summer. Prayin for you friend.

Unknown said...

Definitely praying and so glad you have kicked off the blog dust! Love seeing it all through your eyes! Miss you like crazy! Love ya!