Monday, May 16, 2011

Blessing(s)

When I heard Blessing was coming back to this ship this outreach and out on the dock I got so excited! Blessing is one of my favorite patients from Liberia back in 2008...she has had several surguries from us at different stages for noma on her face. Noma is the flesh eating bacteria that can leave gaping holes in the flesh. We made a new lip for her in Liberia. I can still remember her and Marthlyn trying to teach each other how to talk. One had no lip and one had a cleft lip repair. It was quite funny and rediculously cute!



I finally got down to the ward to see her and her mom today. She is so big and hardly recognizable. I brought a picture with me of her and I in case she was too young to remember. Her mom gave me a big hug and I think Blessing seemed to remember me, but she had just gotten out of surgery and a bit groggy. It's so fun to see how well she is doing from the last time I saw her...and hear some Liberian english from her mom (Blessings lips were out of commission after surgery again).:) She looks so good! Below is a picture of her on a chair next to me on deck 7.

Another patient from Togo last year was also flown in for further surgery. Afi had a huge neurofibroma on her face. Quite a bit was removed last year but it could not all be taken care of. We sent her back to her village last year after instructing a family member how to do her extensive wound care. You always wonder how those situations will turn out...if there will be healing or infection. It was great to see her back and looking fabulous. Her face had healed up great. She had surgery Monday here and things went well. She did lose alot of blood and ended up in the ICU for a day but is doing great now. She is still super shy because of her deformity and probably being in a new place also, but we will keep working on that;)


Tani is another favorite from last year who is supposed to come back for more surgery but there are visa issues...so we can keep praying her her to make it here.


It is just such a joy to see patients return and see how well they have done since the last surgery. God is good!

1 comment:

LB said...

Awesome to get to see results first hand. Glad you got that.