Saturday, May 3, 2008

Mother Fatu



So I am going to try to get caught up on some blogging finally. It's been way too long. Im workin night shift tonight, and even though a nurse called in and I have all 15 patients to myself it should be a pretty quiet night:) Yeah for flexability.:) Ali and Phil just stopped in to say hi and hang out for the last hour...that made my night.
So I have been going to Mother Fatu's orphanage a few times on off days with one of my good friends who has been going there since they have been back in Liberia for this outreach. It is about a 30 minute taxi ride away. They have been working on painting the classrooms. I love it there. It is run by a mother Fatu. She has an awesome testimony and felt God called her to start this orphanage. She lives with her husband there, although he has had a stroke and pretty much stays upstairs. He was very highly educated in the states but missed Africa too much to stay there. He helped write speaches for the president here before he had a stroke. The kids are so fun to just hang out and play with. They love singing, dancing, braiding our hair, running around and climbing all over you:) It's so fun to see all of their different personalities. They never cease to entertain:) The kids have school every day until about 12:30. One of the older girls was teaching me how to dance. And before we left that day most of the kids ended up in the room that was being painted and singing worship songs for us and other songs they had learned in school. Some of the little boys use the wooden chairs as bongo drums. The kids have so much energy...sometimes too much ...in which case a game of follow the leader may be necessary to get some of the kids out of the room so that at least some work can get done in between playing.:) I hope to get back there again before I leave in a week. And hope to get mother Fatu here to the ship for dinner one night. She is such a blessing to those kids and an amazing woman to get to talk to. Im gonna miss the sound of little kids constantly calling my name..."lizbet, come here.....lizbet"...both at the orphanage and on the ward. The last time I was there it was raining so we went into the church building and were listening worhsip practice and dancing all around. I love watching the kids interact with each other and run off to play games with each other. Oh, to be a child again. Earlier I had tried having them build a pyramid...bad mistake...lol. It ended up with a huge "lets all pile on liz" game. I was pretty much covered in sand by the end of that one. And if you ever sit down on the steps be prepaired to be swormed and tackled:) It's neat to think about how each one of those is God's precious child and how God has a plan for each one of their lives.

No comments: