Monday, April 21, 2008

Roberts Port Camping Adventure





So first of all...I cannot believe I only have 3 weeks left. I have made some of the most amazing friends and had some of the most amazing experiences here and will be very sad to say good bye. But who knows...maybe I will be back before I know it.
God has used some of the ppl I have met here to teach me some amazing things through their lives, testimonies, and encouragement. Some of these are personal so I will not share here, but if you ask I'll probably share. It is just so cool how God works in such strange yet cool ways and through people you'd never expect.
I walked Andrew (the albino I have been referring to) to the gate to say goodbye today. We will miss him. He has been such a blessing to me and to the ward. I am going to try to visit him at his home. And he has gotten special permission to come back each Sunday to do drums at ward church...so that's awesome...but will still miss poppin my head in to say hi every time Im down on the ward.

Ok...sorry for getting side tracked...back to camping...
So Sat. 4 of us left to go to Roberts Port (closer to Sierra Leone border). The youth group also took some vehicles, but 4 of us went seperate with a taxi and camped further down the beach. We actually made it there in an uneventful trip only about 2.5 hrs...unlike the last group that took a taxi there and got a flat tire then ran off the road into the woods and had to be taken the rest of the way in UN vehicles). The most eventful thing that happened was when we picked up extra ppl on the way (we already had 4 of us in the back seat and 2 other passangers up front). The drivers son actually road on the front of the hood the last couple miles...good times! We got to town and bought some water and kerosine before heading to the beach. We hung out with the other mercy shippers for a while in the afternoon. Ali, Red, and Paul who I think I have referenced before were all along on the youth trip. Then we went down the beach and I watched the guys body board and surf for a while. I have to say this is one of the prettiest beaches I have seen...just cause it was so lush and green and had dark black rocks scattered along the shore here and there. I did a little body boarding myself...the waves were ok, but I guess usually better for surfing than this time. The guys knew some of the local surfers from before so they joined them. We set up camp before it got dark. We planned to sleep outside but brought a tent in case of the usual late night rain shower or in case the crabs were biting too much. I made sure to wear plenty of insect repellent as well. We made a big camp fire and cooked noodles, sauce, and some meat and beans we had brought along. It was quite yummy...a little salty being cooked in salt water but quite delicious. We were relaxing on the beach watching the waves roll in when I was like.."so is anyone else feeling a little ill?" Well, I guess I was the only one...at around 830pm I started throwing up every 30 minutes till probably around midnight. Good times. I have no idea how I got sick...it could have been anything. I have to say I have never thrown up with such a nice view before though! And I was well taken care of. It was SO nice out..we slept out all night and it didnt rain...and we were close enough to the fire that the crabs didnt bother us either. At about 1030 one of the guys took the long trek back to the youth site to get some meds from Ali from the med kit for me. She came back and stayed with us. She is my kindred spirit here....so was nice to have her by my side through the night and help me out (I'll spare the details:)). I took some benadryl and was able to finally get maybe an hour or 2 of sleep off and on. I dont think any of us really got much of any sleep. I felt better in the morning just 100% wiped out since I had nothing left in me. At 730am it did start to rain so 5 of us piled into a 2 person tent for an hour. I had already been thinking how long of a walk I had ahead of me expecially with how exhausted I wass. Two of the youth came to get me to see if I wanted to walk back with them and go in the mercy ships vehicles since they knew I was sick and probably didnt want to be crammed into a taxi. So they carried my stuff and we started walking..I warned them I was going to be REALLY slow and would probably need to take some breaks. Then David volunteered to save my life and he piggy backed me half way back. We left around noon to head back home. The others took the taxi back and came back a couple hours later. I still had a great time...but was sad I didnt get to climb the rocks and see what was around the bend which had been my plan for the next day. But, such is life. Good memories, good friends, and yeah for God's gorgeous creation. I am feeling much better today. God was gracious in that I had today off anyway so I got to relax and recoup.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lizard, It never ceases to amaze me your ability to make lemonade out of lemons! I am so glad you are enjoying yourself even through being so ill! I hope you took pictures of the camp site/area before you got sick.... Missing you here and cannot wait to hear the amazing God stories to share beyond what I have read! Love ya~!

me said...

What the heck...where is the "real world" photo of you blowing chunks??