Thursday, April 17, 2008

A day out in rural Africa











So sat. I pulled myself out of bed to head out early for an orphanage. There is a group of older guys and Scotland Peter who go out every weekend to help build a new orphanage. I had asked to go awhile ago to help out cause I like playing with kids and I love working and getting my hands dirty. We drove 2 hrs out and through the firestone plant to get to this place. It was so peaceful and pretty out there. As soon as we pulled up of course the kids came running. One of the guys from mercy ships has actually been staying out there for the last 2 weeks, so I got to see the hut he was staying in. Crazy! He had lost quite a bit of weight and complaining that he washes his clothes daily and still smells. We played with the kids a little while. The two women we came with read to the kids. I was ready to get my hands dirty so I helped plant some bananna trees around one of the huts with a chisel type thing. Now too long into the day Peter comes over with a little boy holding the strangest looking bug. It looked like a little alien with a bunch of twitching feet. I have a good video. But ooooh...scary looking. I guess they did eventually rip the head off and eat it. MMMM. I also got to see HUGE magots and watch the boys eat them. I almost put one in my mouth but really didnt want to catch some wierd disease.



During lunch Peter and I went to the field down the road to play soccer with the boys. good times...but quite hot in the afternoon...and they sure are a ton better than me...they got several good laughs watching me play:) Although I did somehow manage to score a goal somehow. One of the little boys was carrying around a large machette with him everywhere he went...I still get a kick out of that common site here.
After lunch I helped the guys dig trenches for the foundation. Quite hard work. Actually I had blisters within minutes. We would hoe the rocks and dirt loose then use a shovel to clean it out. Two of the older girls jumped in and helped when they saw me and it was mentioned that women are the hardest workers in Africa. We all laughed and had a good time. Even enjoyed an afternoon rain shower. The kids gave me what looked like way under ripe green orange...but they said it was ready..so we peeled it and man, that was the yummiest, juciest thing ever. It was a great day filled with fun and hard work. I love the country anywhere so it's always enjoyable to get out. It is crazy how desolate it is out there and think they survive ok. Wow, does it make me count my blessings. And it was so cute having a little train of kids following you everywhere you went. The kids are so precious and beautiful here...breaks my heart to think how many are orphaned, yet fun to hold them each and silently pray in my head for them...knowing God loves them so much and has special plans for everyone of their lives even though it looks so bleak at times.

No comments: