Thursday, March 26, 2009

The "Beach"

I was sitting at dinner and a friend was telling me that there was a nice little place to eat right off the dock on the beach by the ship. This really excited me so a few of us went there to get a coke one evening and take a walk. I was warned that the beach was not so clean before I went and as you can see from the ship, the beach near here is lined with shacks/huts. And since it is on the beach, the beach is the choice toileting place for the people who live there...it only makes sense right?;) We walked through a fish market to get there, but unfortunately all the fish were put away for the eve....but the smell sure didn't. I will have to go back and check out the fish next time. As we walked through to the beach many little kids swormed us and hugged our legs and followed us for a bit. As we walked along the beach we definitely saw several people "using the bathroom" there on the beach. Sure made us look twice before each step:) So nice to get out and walk along the beach though...I love the sound of waves crashing and the breeze brushing against my face. We went to get a drink and some fries and then left to walk back shortly after dark. And yes, I washed my hands a few times before eating after witnessing what I did on the beach and giving all those little kids a high five:)
Anyway, we had walked down the beach a bit toward the fish market when our waitress came running after us yelling. I thought we had forgotten something. Instead, in a cross between french and sherades I could make something out about bandits and white people and stabbing. She did the stabbing motion quite well;) She pretty much told us we could not go back that way becuase it was unsafe and we may be attacked. So we took the road home instead. We made it back safe and sound but thought it was afully nice of her to run after us and enlighten us. God is good:)

And, on different note, I survived my first set of night shifts. They went quite smoothly actually and I stayed awake quite well...better than I remember. Although, I do believe some of that was adrenaline as I had to take care of a nauseated little boy who had his jaw wired shut from surgery. I was giving him some NG tube feeds and I would only get halfway done when he would motion to me to stop and motion he felt like throwing up. So, being on night shift and not having a lot of extra hands around I did not push it. We keep wire cutters above the bed in case those patients throw up and start choking because the fluid cannot get out. However, I REALLY was hoping I would not have to deal with that situation on my shifts. Needless to say I did a bit of extra praying for him those nights:) Praise the Lord he did not end up throwing up:)...But I think I constantly kept looking at him half the night paranoid he was going to and that I would have to use the wire cutters.

Sorry so long..I know, I promised they'd be shorter....next time;)

4 comments:

Mom said...

uffda, girl! Unsafe beaches and getting stuck with needles....what's a mom to do??? Pray a little harder, huh;) Glad God is watchin over you!

Michael said...

Were you going to the beach to get coke, or a coke, that one little a makes it sound a lot different.....

her said...

oh gosh liz, and you still have awhile to go!

JennTermin said...

Ok, I'm a dork...just thought to check your blog...why I forgot I have no idea. Already you have great stories and you have been there how long?!? Sounds like you are getting along fine but I will continue to pray for you nonetheless. Now this coke and beach story doesn't sound anything like what we experienced in January, but it does bring back some funny memories. ;) Love you girl!