Sunday, March 29, 2009

Joy

I just wanted to share something that really made me smile...and even shed a tear. We had a 7 year girl named Blandie staying on the ward a few days before surgery with her dad. I got into work Friday eve. and told that she was in surgery, but apparently that day the doctors looked at the cat scan and realized how critical this surgery was going to be and even if it was worth the risk. They would be awfully close to the carotid artery to remove the tumor the girl had. The doctors had talked to the father earlier in the day and told him his little girl may not make it through surgery. Since they were working so close to a major artery, if they nicked it, it could be life threatening. The patient was in surgery for 7 hours with people outside praying pretty much the whole time. It was a bit tense on the ward as we awaited news.

At 8pm we heard the surgery went well and we could get the patient back from post op soon. At 9 we got the privilege of getting Blandie back. As they pushed the stretcher in the room the dad followed...with the BIGGEST grin on his face. A nurse and I stayed over after our shift to help get the patient situated and I don't think I saw the daddy once without a huge grin from ear to ear. I hugged him a few times and was just over joyed to watch him and his girl. He was SO happy his daughter made it through surgery. We are so thankful that God guided that surgery and protected her through it. It's days like this I leave work reminded again why I am here and so blessed to be doing what Im doing:) ...And also reminded it is not by our strength, intelligence, resources but God's. I am just blessed and humbled to be a part of it:)

1 comment:

JennTermin said...

Wow! What an incredible moment you were able to share in with this father and his little girl. God never ceases to amaze me when I hear of these wonderful miracles He performs each and every day!