Thursday, April 22, 2010

Stress Test - Africa Mercy Style

I have to say I was quite excited when I got report after the doctors rounded and I was told I needed to give a man a stress test. One of my patients has apparently had chest pain the last few years and Dr. Gary wanted a second ECG done this morning. Once they started talking Dr. Gary mentioned that we should do a stress test on the guy. After a few chuckles about the impossibility of doing that here there starts to be talk of a modified version.

The new game plan: have patient run from deck 3 (hosptial) to deck 7 two times and do an ECG immediately when he gets back. I found this idea quite amusing and was a bit excited about it, I'm not going to lie. I was up for some morning exercise myself. :) It gets better though...

The patient does not speak any of the same languages as the translators so his nephew stays with him to translate for him. Well, once I start organizing our stress test adventure I soon realize I need to be able to communicate with the patient in case he does in fact start having chest pain while running the stairs and that there will need to be four of us running!

Next thing I know, there are four of us jogging up and down several flights of stairs...me, patient, nephew, and a translator. Of course the patient and nephew only have flip flops which is not the most ideal for running or stairs...but no one had any severe trips.:)

I don't think this "stress test" is quite as accurate as we the ones in the states...but hey....we have to get creative around here! But if for no other reason, it sure did provide me with my entertainment and exercise for the day. It was worth it just to see the bewildered looks we got as we a nurse, gowned patient, and 2 others ran passed other crew on the stairs.