Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Fun With The Cuz At The Hospitality Center

We have tried something new the last two years of having a place off ship where patients can stay if they live a long ways away. Many times patients cannot afford to travel back and forth for follow up appointments or while waiting for their surgery. Instead of taking up valuable hospital bed space, they can stay here and get free housing, meals, and even some education. It is always fun to go over and hang out with new patients, or ones we have treated on the wards. While my cousin was here, I took her and her friend over to hang out for a bit. It is always such a good time! Fransoise (the woman on the left) was a patient I knew from Benin. She has been through so much...7 jaw surgeries. Since her jaw was once again infected this time, we had to take out the plate (fake jaw) that we had put in last time. She was pretty devestated, but God saved more of her jaw than we thought so that was a huge praise. The night she got out of surgery I went to check on her and sit with her a bit cause I knew how discouraged she'd be. The nurses were not letting her eat because she had vomitted after surgery. She was almost in tears telling me how hungry she was...so I got her a can of ensure and assured her nurse I would stay with her and take full resposiblity and clean up duty if she couldn't tolerate it. She ended up being ok and so grateful for my advocacy and friendship. It made me think of the verse in Matt. 25:40...'whatever you have done for the least of these, you have done for me.' It reminded me again how we can be Jesus even in the little things.
Blessing was a patient from Nigeria who had a tumor removed and hung out at the hospitality center until her follow up appt. She spoke English since she is from Nigeria, which is always enjoyable:) Monique (the one in the blue), just had surgery for a cleft palate. She ended up with an ear infection, and a couple other complications, but is now donig great. She is a ball of energy.

My cousin Dani, another volunteer from her organization (Emily), and I had a great time playing, dancing, and runnin around with kids.
Farouk (left) teaching Fransoise and I a dance. I have it on video- pretty hilarious. Farouk is also AMAZING! He has had SO many jaw surgeries, and like Fransois, also had an infections (MRSA) and needed his plate removed this time...and we could not replace it becuase of the infection. I would think that would be SO devastating...yet I NEVER saw him without a smile on his face and laughter on his tongue. Even at the hospitality center he was always smiling, helping others, and playing with the other kids. I think we all could learn a lesson or two from him!Spontaneous worship/dance outside...that will never get old!!!
Farouk helping one of the little guys with crutches play ball with us.

No comments: