Friday, June 4, 2010

Goodnight, Sleep Tight, Don't Let The AFRICAN Bugs Bite!

I have never seen as many crazy wierd bug bites, infections, and swollen extremeties as I have since I have been in Africa. I mean, I guess it is Africa but wow. When you get an innocent bug bite you just never know what you are growing.
The other week a friend of mine, Alex, had 3 maggotts squeezed out of his leg/abdomen. I was very sad I missed the occassion so told them to tell me next time they catch wind of another maggott encounter.

Last night after community meeting a group of us was hanging out in the Peet's cabin...our adopted family on board...as we usually do after community meeting. The phone rings and Julle tells me that it is a call from down on the ward. Micah, one of the nurses, is down there and they are about to lance his incredibly swollen foot. I had seen the foot earlier and without a hesitation I said I would be back and promptly ran down...naturally. The whole thing was quite anti climatic, but quite entertaining. There soon was a group of about 15 people huddled around. First, Micah started with a needle pokin at the hard lump on his foot. Nothing much came out, so we got a stitch cutter blade. After cutting a bit he squeezed and squeezed. At this point he was getting to be in a bit of pain. So again, naturally, we get some lidocaine and inject it in his foot. This is what happens when a bunch of nurses get together to lance wounds as a favorite pass time. In then end we only got a little puss out unfortunately. I was really hoping for some more maggotts. He is on antibiotics, but his foot is absolutely HUGE. Hopefully they start working soon.

In the meantime, one of my really good friend's has gotten a bite of some sort on his cheeck. Within a couple of days it goes from lookin a bit red to..well..you can see for yourself. He is also on antibiotics now. Don't think we will go cutting open his face anytime soon though.
These are only the latest of African killer bug bites. I have even more stories from the beginning of the year, but will save you the gross gorey details...unless you ask;)

Ok, now who wants to come join me in Africa? :)

No comments: