Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Snippits

So I just thought I would write a random blog tonight with a few random pictures.
First of all...I took care of a baby who recieved surgery for his club foot today. His mom had on a Valparaiso University T-Shirt...how RANDOM!...in Liberia. I tried to explain to her that that is the town I gerw up in....but dont think it translated well:)
Here are a couple pictures of one of the empty wards so you can kind of get an idea of where I work...and also a picture of inside the bathrooms on the ward...because most of them really have not seen a flushing toilet before...and they were really having these problems:)












Yesterday I had the day off...quite relaxing...pretty wiped still from getting off night shift...But I have made good friends with the three amigos I now call them...they have beds next to each other and have a good time together. Henry(with bandages around his head) has been here forever..and he is so happy to have friends to hang with now. Earlier he was kept in one of the corners away from everyone because of infection. Andrew (the albino) is the one who's surgery I watched with the cancer. And Even is the 3rd. I went down and hung out with them for a few hours yesterday and Evan and Henry taught me how to make friendship bracelets...it's been way too long since I had made one...so I hung out with them while I made it...then went up with them when they went to deck 7. It was so fun...I always pop my head in and say hi when Im around down there. They all have such amazing stories and faith! Henry wants to stay and be a day worker when he is eventually better...which will still be a long time as he still needs skin grafts.















Red and I went running again yesterday too...had a little African boy and girl run along with us for a little while:):)
Today I worked...then I took my 1 patient who could go up to deck 7. Ali...one of my good friends here had the day off but came up with us. Usually patients from all 3 wards come up..but today it was just me and one of my patients. His name is Patrick....he is from Sierra Leone...he is here early waiting for plastic surgery screening on the 30th. Ali and I had SO much fun with him. He was teaching us Creo(sp?)...the language they speak there...as well as some African dances. We have some great video tape of both...but it's on Ali's camera so I will have to get it from her. I was asking him about his family...he said he has no brothers or sisters. His parents and siblings were all killed in the war...and the rebels put gasoline on him and threw him in the fire...still dont know how he survived...has burns ALL over. I cant even imagine...yet he has such a bubbly personality and biggest smile. But there are times when he has a serious face that is just makes you want to cry...he looks like he has literally been through hell and back. I have to put the pics up for u guys...and the videos are quite enetertaining. Anyhoo...I still cannot fathom stories like that. He is only 15 now. I think he thoroughly enjoyed our time on the dock today...we all laughed so much and had so much fun:)
Tonight went out for Emma and Peter's birthday's.....3 landrovers full of us...so fun...even when Carlos got one of the landrovers stuck on the way back.:)...Never a dull moment around here:)

No comments: