Saturday, March 8, 2008

TGI Saturday?...ok, Im so not creative with titles...;)




So these are probably going to get shorter and not every day...I know...thank goodness you all are saying:)...I just want to make the most of my time here and not spend it all writing...although some days are better than others and on my days off Im sure I'll have plenty of time. Anyhoo...today a goup of 8 of us went to an orphanage...good to get off the ship, see the area and meet people...sure is an eye opening experience...something you always read about or see pictures...but so neat...and humbling to experience in person. The kids are so well behaved. We sang songs, made name tags for beds with the kids, painted nails, jump roped, played soccer, painted nails....and sweated a lot...which as most of you know, I dont mind..the heat really does not bother me that much:) The kids were sooo cute and so well behaved. After reading A Long Way Gone (HIGHLY RECOMMEND)...about a boy soldier in sierra leone...it gave me a whole new outlook on kids here since they have been through similar things. I caught myself really being drawn to the young boys and wanting to just give them a hug and picturing the boy in that book whenever I see them here. Many of them have to grow up at such a young age. Then I kicked the soccer ball around with a couple ppl on the dock after returning...almost loosing hte ball into the ocean a couple times...oops...not to mention myself. After lunch a group of us walked to one of the markets...about 45 minutes from here and bought some fabric to take to a tailor to make skirts and bags. Again...cant even being to put in to words the experience....and happy to be alive....as the road is crazy! And I wish I could have gotten pictures of the chicken wings, feet, etc. sitting in bowls in the hot sun for sale....uuuggghhhhh! Wonder what kind of things are growing in there. Did take a picture of a lockheed building though for you you lockheed martiners in texas...i will try to post it or send it to ya'll. Tonight they showed a documentary on the ship the the vvf surgeon brought. It is about women all over the world who suffer from this and how their life is a living hell because of it...many say their ownly option is suicide because EVERYONE ostracizes them..even their whole family. That is one of the surgerys they have been doing on the ship. The documentary is called A Long Walk to Beautiful. It has actually done really well in film festivals and is up for an academy award. They interviewd Dr. Arrowsmith (surgeon here) for when they play it in the U.S. on May 13th...it will be on Nova...so watch out for it...it is REALLY good...and humbling. Ok, so this wasnt short like I promised...sorry. Tomorrow is church then the beach and back to work on Monday. Thanks for the continued prayers. Pray that God continues to use me, challenge me, and grow me:)

1 comment:

Mom said...

What a colorful picture for my desktop background, not to mention a colorful experience for you with the chicken feet and all!
Love you!
Mom