Tuesday, March 4, 2008

This is all new to me...




So I am not much of diary person, but Im going to attempt a blog. I figure this will be a lot easier to do to keep everyone updated than trying to get everything in a long email every now and then. I will still try to do email updates here and there though. I have today off for the most part so again, once I start working 5 or more days a week I don't know how much I will update this...but we'll see how it goes...
So yesterday I had most of the day off...just had an orientation to the ward at 1pm then general orientation in the evening. It sure is different living on the ship...kinda nice...it's like a city all in one place. You have your bank, food, laundry, store, little starbucks, all in one place....and the hospital wards and OR are right down the hall from my cabin. Talk about a short commute to work:) It is interesting watching ship life...it is unbelievably organized. I loved just ppl watching last night as I was doing my devotions on the floor above starbucks. There are families that live here with their kids and the kids were getting out of "school" as I was sitting there. Some were talking and I was trying to imagine what it would be like growing up on this ship...this being your home, your city...no running around outside playing with the neighbors...school is on the deck above where you live. Crazy. Although it's really cool...the community life here. In the evening most ppl gather around starbucks and upstairs where there are computers and wireless. Ppl hang out, play games, read....it's like Im back in college again...which is really fun to some degree...except for living with 6 girls in a room with no windows so getting up and dressed or going to bed when others are trying to sleep is tricky in a pitch black room. Good thing I have my headlamp. And the toilets are SO noisy when they flush. Sorry, that was random. And I have now learned what a ship shower is...to conserve water. You rinse, shut water off, lather, then turn water on to rinse. They want us to try to use water for only 2 minutes. I love that everywhere I look though I can look outside and see water...or coastline..such a cool experience. Everyone pretty much stays on the ship. I think I may try to go for a run on the dock later...but can't go past the gate without a group and cell phone....except for sports which is right out the gate on the UN base.
Yesterday I did the orientation to the ward...def. going to be different than home...but pretty cool. The first ward I and the other nurse orienting with me (dutch nurse) walked into had a doctor telling a pt. they had TB. Lol. So if I come back with a pos. TB test we'll know why. I guess that is the second in a couple weeks and the pt had been in the ward a while. The nurse orienting us laughed...and said sarcastically.."that would be your first experience here...oops:)"
As far as life here though, I am adjusting well. Everyone is very friendly. Elizabeth and I hung out last night and a girl from Maryland who also just came. I have also met some cool nurse from the netherlands and jersey and pennsylvania...im sure I'll meet many more very soon!
We have ward nurse devos on Mondays at 4. I went yesterday...it was a unique one though because it was a debriefing session on the 2 kids who died over the weekend here...which is a more rare occasion. It was very heavy but very interesting discussion. From nurses disagreeing we should have tried to help those 2 in the first place with the limited resources we have, to others saying we had to give them a fighting chance. Lots of ethical questions. Gave me a lot to contemplate. So cool to see God working here and the support everyone gives each other..and so cool to end staff mtgs and report with prayer for each other and the patients.
So sorry this is sooooo long..but figure I can use it as part of my journal too....since it will be lot quicker to type than to write everything out. Thanks so much for the conitued prayers...as we were reminded in the large community mtg this morning...and as it says in scripture....God's strength is made perfect in our weakness. This was a cool reminder as I begin orienting as a nurse in this totally different culture and environment...and can't wait to see how God can use me among these African patients.
Ok, now that you are all asleep, Im signing off for now. I will try to take some pictures soon.

2 comments:

sailfish said...

liz, i love that you're keeping a blog. and it's awesome how this can serve as a journal too. have a great time learning and growing. be careful out there!

Unknown said...

I am totally impressed that you went techie when you went to Africa! I am loving the posts! Thank you for sharing your experience with us here at home! You are missing the crazy snow, but you have seen it most of your life anyways! I love ya girl! Praying for ya!