Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Sunday







So Sunday I got up and went to a small African church about 30 minutes into the country. It was the prettiest little place..they are working on building the new church so still dirt floor and just finished the tin roof. I love the worship here. Everyone is so lively...drums, dancing, jumping around. Truly what worship should really be I think! And they are all so joyful and thankful for what they have even though it is not much! The children here are SO beautiful too! The sermon was on Matthew 18..."Go into all the nations...". Oh, and we almost didnt make it to church cause the battery was dead in the land rover we had...so we got to push start it. Although that was quite a bit more difficult when we had to do it after church on a dirt road with lots of ruts. Very entertaining...but this time we had all the guys from the church to help. Later in the afternoon we went to Elwa beach about 45 minutes away...several Mercy Ships ppl were there...you gotta be smart making friends here and find out who can drive:):) It was beautiful and nice to get out off the ship, go for a swim, run, played frisbee...and many Africans came to join. We then had a church service here around 7. I worked Monday days...was really busy...had a guy with every 4 hr. nebulizer treatments (something I have learned to do here since respiratory ppl at our hosp. usually do it), suctioning, and tube feeds. Then I got another woman back from surgery with a tumor removed from her lip...she had 2 twin babies with her...so cute. I also had a couple pts with dressing changes. It was good, but busy..mostly because I spent most of the time trying to find out where things were. Played volleyball Monday night at the UN base. Today I had the day off and went to town with a few other girls...we walked most of the way, as the first taxi we took broke down:) It is amazing how dirty it is here....but I know ya'll have seen plenty of pictures of Africa to know this...but stil so crazy. And driving is insane...walking along the road to the markets is quite the adventure. I got a bit burned today too...and surely sweated off a few pounds...but dont worry, I have been drinking my water:) Played soccer tonight after being coerrced (sp?) into it...I showed up and it was all guys....I was like, well...here we go...Im gonna look foolish. Most of the guys are from here and Europe which means they grow up playing soccer. I felt like I did horrible but I guess they thought I was decent. It was so fun though. Just now we finished Salsa dancing lessons...good times...Im a pro now...or something. Tomorrow Im back to work:)

2 comments:

Mom said...

Your worship experience there reminds me of the local church Dad and I went to in the Virgin Islands...so lively. The taxi guy was beginning to wonder what kind of neighborhood we were headed into, but, a waiter had seen us praying and recommended this church to us so we had no qualms.
Love ya,
Mom

me said...

See this is why I recommended a steady diet of soccer and salsa dancing...it is the international language for "Mercy Ships"...